A Labrats Journey

This is basically the story of a 27 year old Navy Corpsman as she starts her journey to Iraq, leaving her son and husband 7000 miles away! Disclaimer: The thoughts, views, pictures, comments expressed in no way represent the Views of US Navy, Marines, Department of Defense,or anyone other than myself!(unless otherwise stated) I am not here to offend anyone. If you visit please leave a comment, BUT please respect my job and don't fill up my comments section with nonsense.

Saturday, October 16, 2004

Have not written.

Honestly just haven't been in the mood. I am very down in the dumps. It has been crazy here. Not with patients, thank God, just with protecting ourselves. Tonight we had mass and a memorial for a marine killed in action. It was harder than even a regular funeral or memorial. His rifle and Kevlar (helmet) laid on the table with a minimal amount of pictures. Each Marine and Sailor one by one went to the table and touched his dog tags. Once again brought the reality of war to each individual's heart. Today we built fighting positions. They cleared the bottoms of all the trees and shrubs removed so no one can hide in them. Texas barriers were put around the building and we filled sand bags to fill in the spaces between, so no light shows. All the windows were taped and covered with plywood. We put constantina wire around everything!! We parked our 7 tons around the building and where we couldn't park them put spare large semi truck tires filled with sandbags....WHY you ask? Well, In light of what is going on out there in the city, the iraqis tried to drive their car through our building....Then they came barging in three days in a row--- we almost shot them....So now we have pulled out all the stops. .......There have been several attempts on a ground attack for the camp-- all were stopped less than a block down from us. So we are prepared to fight back. It was like building to play war when you were a little kid. At night it is like the fourth of July. Explosions and flashes from muzzles are heard and seen in the sky. The prominant sound of a plane always means a house is going down somewhere. Shortly after the plane flys over, the ground vibrates. You rarely hear the sound of the explosion, but the vibration is something that will never be forgotten. There has been a lot more outgoing lately, which seems to slow up the incoming mortars and rockets. Doesn't stop them though. According to the news we haven't gone into Fallujah yet, just the outskirts and we are threatening to. We will see what the future holds. Today we took a group photo, we all spelled out the words BRAVO with our bodies and an aerial shot was taken. They tend to use this for a holiday greeting card, one per family. I don't know why, you can't see our faces. My family wants to see me, not a bunch of cammies that spell BRAVO. Three semi trucks full of mail arrived today. It will be sorted out tomorrow, we will see what it has in store for us. This is the largest amount of mail yet. This may be all the mail for awhile. As things heat up supplies and mail tend to stop. The little pump that could decided it couldn't again. I did laundry today and finished in the nick of time. The pump stopped minutes afterward, my clothes were still wet on the line. The plumber flew the coup, guess he couldn't hack it anymore. So who knows when the little pump will again. Most people won't touch it, since there are leaches everywhere there is water here, even in the shower tiles! The mice population noticed the cooler weather at night and relocated to our hooch. Everyone has seen a mouse or two. Traps have been set. Last night we let a cat in the hall and locked it in there, he ran around like a fool most of the night. I was glad, cause they got a taste of what they sound like during the day when I am trying to sleep. I really thought it had cooled off, I was in sweats and a sweatshirt lastnight, when I looked up at the thermometer and it read 85 degrees!! Crazy, we all felt so cold. We are used to 130 degrees. I finally am caught up on mail, meaning I have written everyone that has written me. I got an envelope the other day with no letter, but One Green Body Armour shirt. It was perfect. I wanted one of those so bad, but they are rather costly. I was very grateful. Coda got his Halloween costume, he is going to be a Dalmation. Tony said it was the only thing that fit at the store, but he looks cute. Sent Coda a Halloween Care package. It was perfect for his age, there wasn't one thing that he couldn't use in it. Also, sent Coda a leapfrog Toad that sings and likes to be hugged. Tony says he loves it. He also said I sucked cause I did so good buying him a gift from so far away :) .

10 Comments:

At October 3, 2005 at 10:17 PM, Blogger kalisekj said...

Hey, I have enjoyed...your blog is informative - even entertaining.

I have a halloween sites. They pretty much covers costumes and masks related stuff.

Thanks again and I'll be sure to bookmark you.

 
At October 23, 2005 at 3:42 AM, Blogger Connor Wilson said...

Every year my son Dylan and I have been building our Halloween animatronic display. This year we added 12 new figures and my wife had been making the clothes etc. but then I clued in that Halloween Costumes were the ideal solution - ya, ok I'm slow but...This year is really cool because we've done an HP Lovecraft display that I'm sure he'd appreciate but I'm not so sure he'd approve of this - The Necronomicon - Is it just me or is that just plain goofy ? Anyway, everybody is doing their own Haunted House thing now but hey - it's fun and if you've got kids I really suggest you try it yourself if you haven't already. It's a nice change from the usual Christmas Lights routine and a lot of scaaarrry fun. Happy Halloween everybody.

 
At October 24, 2005 at 5:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a christmas gift site/blog. It pretty much covers gift ideas for christmas related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

 
At October 31, 2005 at 3:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You may want to check this site out:

My wife saves alot of money using this thing. I love it!!!


Misspelledauctions.com

 
At November 3, 2005 at 7:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a huge fan so youmight like cat kennel

 
At November 7, 2005 at 7:31 PM, Blogger Antonio Hicks said...

I was just browsing various blogs as I was doing a search on the word halloween, and I just wanted to say that I really like what you've done with your blog, even though it wasn't particularly related to what I searched for. I appreciate your postings, and your blog is a good example of how a blog should be done. I've only just recently started a Posters website - feel free to visit it when you get a chance if you wish. Much success, antonio.

 
At August 18, 2007 at 6:01 PM, Anonymous Buy Levitra said...

Great article! Thanks.

 
At August 18, 2007 at 11:20 PM, Anonymous Phentermine said...

Thanks for interesting article.

 
At September 10, 2007 at 4:02 PM, Anonymous Anonimous said...

Excellent website. Good work. Very useful. I will bookmark!

 
At February 23, 2010 at 8:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://markonzo.edu http://profiles.friendster.com/crestore#moreabout http://profiles.friendster.com/neurontin#moreabout http://riderx.info/members/buspar-side-effects.aspx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Page Hit Counters
Free Hit Counter
Google
WWW http://desertdiet.blogspot.com/atom.xml