A Labrats Journey

This is basically the story of a 27 year old Navy Corpsman as she starts her journey to Iraq, leaving her son and husband 7000 miles away! Disclaimer: The thoughts, views, pictures, comments expressed in no way represent the Views of US Navy, Marines, Department of Defense,or anyone other than myself!(unless otherwise stated) I am not here to offend anyone. If you visit please leave a comment, BUT please respect my job and don't fill up my comments section with nonsense.

Tuesday, July 27, 2004

And One Day at Training....

Well this is my first time able to get to a PC with internet connection, ironically it will probably be easier in Iraq to access the web than here. This base is over 200 square miles and CC just sent us to the airport with no ride from there on. It takes 20 to 30 minutes just to get from where we are staying to the gate. Well enough whining, let me tell you about my experience thus far. I am far from GI Jane but just as beat up! We have trained and learned things that I never wanted to know. I know when I am leaving and where I am going but do to security reasons it must remain a secret sorry, you'll just have to keep reading. The seven tons, yes 7 tons trucks not 5 ton trucks, are very difficult to get in and out of when you are 5'4". We are in marine corps regs which includes green everything. We got two expeditions rented that all 39 of us fight over. There is a particular chief that tries to pull rank and keep the vehicle to himself all of the time. Today is Tony's Birthday "Happy Birthday Baby, I love you." My b-day is Thurs.  I live in the barracks (yuk) with a PFC (low rank for those of you who don't know). She is very young minded but nice, and clean. It is very hard here. We all are getting through it however. We were all split up into different companies. Each company will go to a different area in Iraq. Two of us lab techs are together and one of us is separated by himself. I am one of very limited amount of females, so I am trying to fit in as one of the guys. Needless to say I am bruised everywhere and my lip is split open and I don't even know how it happened! The field training was rough-we didn't sleep for about three days straight. Drill after drill. We had three REAL casualties out there. For those of you family and friends in FL stand by surprises may be in the mix for this weekend, just wait and see! I guess my son is giving the babysitters a run for there money, sorry girls, Thank you!  Things I realize that I will need are SOCKS, sunblock, toiletpaper, soap and shampoo- I have already depleted my supply. I want a mouse for my laptop, I am waiting until payday. I took some pictures, hope to show them soon. Well I hope to get back on here and sorry for the brief update, but so much has happened. I went to see IROBOT it was pretty good.  CA weather is beautiful but the base is drab with no car and no where to eat or anything to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Page Hit Counters
Free Hit Counter
Google
WWW http://desertdiet.blogspot.com/atom.xml